Hi all;

I had occasion to do some serious hi volume resawing today, and found at
the end of the job, that those $4/roll of 10 roller skate bearing use as
the roller guides on my Rikon 1-325 have, for the 2nd time in a year,
converted themselves to junk.  All 3 bearings below the table, despite
having a rubber seal on both sides, have become sawdust filled and jammed
so the rotation on the bearing is for only 1 or 2 degrees.  So I remembered
that a neighbor of mine, being aware I also had Sears 12" tilting head
bandsaw that came with Kool Blocks for guides, and gave me a set he'd had
for 30 years.  Still in the Sears blister pack, with a $2.95 price sticker!
Now Snears & takeitback has no clue what they are, and everybody but
Highland Hardware wants $15 a set plus ship & I'll still need to machine
the slot, I have 2 more sets ordered as of 2 hours ago.

The ball bearings mounting bolt goes right thru the mounting slot and they
bolted in and worked very nicely!  The saw is noticeably quieter.

That leaves the rear of the blade thrust bearings, which since the blade
runs against the OD of the bearing, not the side like most such rigs do and
has worn a groove about 30 thou deep in the last 18 months, and of course
the bearing itself rumbles like a diesel freight train, leaving a pattern
on the sawn wood that it takes a trip through my planer to get rid of.  I
get a hell of a lot cleaner cut if I back it away from the blade & don't
push the workpiece hard enough to make the blade touch and spin that junk
box bearing.

My thoughts are to replace it with a tall carbide plate, warped so its a
few microns high in the middle.  So I would need a couple pieces of flat
carbide, say 1/16" thick, 1/4" wide and an inch long that I could mount so
the blade would back into the 1" high by 1/4" wide face when the sawing
pressure pushes the blade back enough to touch the carbide, wheels etc
adjusted so the blades back clears by 10 thou or so when running freely.

Anybody know where I could source something like that?

--
Cheers, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>