I would like to add, that for testing purposes you can run EMC without
RTAI using any kernel. Just compile it with --enable-simulator. Finding
out the needed dependencies should be fairly easy in this case.

In my experience everything works, even HAL, creating new hal modules,
but interacting with hardware through hal modules. So, you won't feel no
difference with the RT version, unless you try to use HAL's hardware
drivers.

Good luck,

Javier