The guys I have been talking to are the Encoder Technicians - not the
marketing guys so their observations regarding SSI vs Endat volume is
simply what they see as being popular from a "Heidenhain" perspective.

I don't think that BISS encoders are sold by Heidenhain since they are
pushing Endat, so it is likely that their techs have no clue about BISS
encoders, or their popularity.

Heidenhain commands some serious $ for their encoders so I can
understand why they would try and protect their business with a
proprietary communications format like Endat.  I believe that many of
their "standard" rotary encoders are in excess of $500 each.

Far from cheap.

Do you know of any "cheap" SSI encoders?

Dave