Neil wrote:
> Oh yes, LOTS to do still, but this is the first successfully working
> PnP test.  The A-axis works but we didn't do any rotation for this
> test.  I also still need to build feeders, add camera & image
> recognition, add positive pressure solenoid for extracting components,
> and eventually build a nozzle-changer.  And lots of software to work
> with centroid files, etc.  And I'm thinking I should design some type
> of spring-loaded nozzle system to compensate for any minor height
> differences.

Yup, some capacitors vary in thickness from one part to the next in the
tape.

I have a 12 year-old or so Philips CSM84, with no nozzle changer, no
vision, no Z axis.
But, it has 3 heads and chuck centering jaws on the heads, plus a large
component
centering station.  It uses a single-pixel camera for picking up
fiducials from the board
(moves heads in XY while watching the sensor for dark or reflection).
It has a human-only
camera for locating the pick-up location of parts on the vibratory
feeder.  It has vacuum
sensors on each nozzle and will perform a bunch of different cycles to
continue running when
something goes wrong.  So, if a part gets stuck to the nozzle, it will
pop up and down and blow
to try to get it to drop off in the dump bucket.  If it doesn't get the
right vacuum when picking up
or just before placing it will dump the part in the bucket, but if the
vacuum goes back to normal
after using the centering jaws, it will place the part.  (Sometimes the
part is not picked up well
from the tape, but the centering jaws restore it to the proper position.)

It does real well with 0805 and SOIC parts, but is pushing the
capabilities for SSOP
and fine-pitch chips.

I was lucky to get about 60 feeders with it, and they are quite
complex.  Each feeder certainly
has over 50 parts in it.  All the small feeders are actuated by the same
air cylinder that makes the head
go up and down.  The larger feeders (16 mm tape and up) are operated by
an air cylinder in the
feeder that is controlled by a valve tripped by the head air cylinder.

Jon