I started with the GS2 VFD code and added two related features which are
supported by the Toshiba VFD and are not in the GS2 driver:

1. if the vfs11.estop pin is activated, this sends an estop trigger command on
the next modbus cycle.
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/vfs11-vfd.git/blob/10fe50ddb61debabb00f4b00a47bd451e60ded27:/vfs11_vfd.c
 ca line 430

This triggers the estop latch inside the VFS11 and it needs to be manually
cleared. It also goes deaf on the modbus if this estop latch is triggered.

2. the vfs11.enable pin is used to gain control over the VFD. If off, the
manual panel is enabled (off/on,fwd/reverse, speed pot) even when modbus is
connected. If vfs11.enable is on, the manual panel is disabled and control is
exclusively via modbus.

Connecting a separate Estop line is probably safer but this setup works well
for me.
-m