On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:21:16 -0500, you wrote:

>  Expansion of
>spindles is a major concern, the high-end machines have chillers for the
>spindle
>oil bath.  The REALLY high-end ones run chiller water through hollow
>ballscrews
>to prevent thermal expansion.

Not just spindles - the machine needs to be kept at a constant temp too.
Thermal expansion of the bed or column can make it change dramatically.
Work needs to be kept cool too, chilled coolant is not that uncommon.

Always makes me smile when I see people talking of making machines with
micron accuracy ;)

Steve Blackmore