On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 13:41 -0700, doug metzler wrote:
> Hey Kirk, did you ever go anywhere with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DougM
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 15, 2011 01:03:31 PM doug metzler did opine:
> >
> >> 1) loopback test to confirm that the port is actually working?  Esp.
> >> if it would report back what address it found the loopback adapter on.
> >> 2) something that that tells me who is holding or has handles to it?
> >> (I'm sure this already exists but it would be nice to be encapsulated
> >> in the same place)
> >> 3) a wizard that configures it for EMC :-)

Sorry, I haven't gotten round to it yet. After having a couple of new
issues with using my Pluto-P with a PCI parallel port card, it seems I
don't have a full understanding of the problem yet. I suppose this
should not prevent me from posting the current status of the utility on
the wiki, when I get round to it.

There is a parallel port tester of sorts in the pyVCP examples here:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal_pyvcp_examples.html

One could just use a jumper wire from an input hole to an output to
verify that the puns, rather pins, work. A more formal tester hardware
would try to protect the port from the user doing silly things, but
basically do the same thing.

I'll try to make progress on this soon, maybe.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html