Kent,

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Kent A. Reed <knbr...@erols.com> wrote:
> Gentle persons:
>
> You've kindly put up with me bloviating on all manner of subjects for
> some years now. I owe you a more direct contribution.
>
> Despite the fact that I'm a lexical kind of guy who believes in the Tao
> of Unix (everything should be text that can be piped through filters /
> yada yada yada), I've often thought it would be nice to be able to gen
> up visualizations of EMC2 configurations easily and quickly.
>
> Like most (perhaps all?) my thoughts, this one is not original to me.
> For example, back in 2008 Kirk Wallace wrote to this list "[i]t would be
> nice to have a way to diagram existing HAL files." Later the same year,
> Jon Elson mentioned in regard to a configuration involving his PPMC
> "[s]omeday, I probably need to make a 'wiring' diagram of the hal
> signals and pins."

> "The problem with any HAL to schematic (or netlist to schematic) program
> is that it will most likely generate hideous schematics.  When a circuit
> designer draws a schematic, he knows what the circuit does.  He lays out
> the circuit on the page to clearly convey that information.
>
> "A program that is reading a circuit netlist or a HAL file has no idea
> what the circuit does, so all it can do is plop things down at random
> and draw lines between them.  The result might be easier to understand
> than the original file, but I wouldn't count on it.  It will almost
> certainly need radically rearranged to make it clear and easy to
> understand."
>
> John was absolutely right but but recently I've been intrigued by the
> thought that "[t]he result might be easier to understand than the
> original file...."
>
> I have spent some of my copious free time (which is actually almost no
> time for reasons I won't go into here) seeing how far I had to go to
> create easier-to-understand visualizations of EMC2 configurations. I'm
> not done but I figured I should show my hand.
>
> You can see what I'm up to at
> https://sites.google.com/site/manisbutareed (I apologize for the
> small-ish images. As soon as I figure out how to implement "click to
> enlarge" on a Google site, I'll do it.)
>
> I expect some will accept nothing less than Manhattan routing (e.g.,
> diagrams laid out like a street map of mid-town Manhattan) and I can't
> scratch their itch (although I've got an inkling of an idea).
>
> For those who can live with the (sometimes not so) "aesthetic" routing
> produced by the Graphviz software package I've been experimenting with,
> I have a request.
>
> I'd like to test my experimental hal2html script against potentially
> 'killer' configurations to see if I can break it and all I've got are
> the examples in the EMC2 distribution.
>
> If you have a particularly gnarly configuration running in EMC2, would
> you consider saving it from halcmd using the "save neta <filename>"
> command, dropping the resulting file somewhere accessible to me, and
> [...]
nice work
i tried same in gEDA
some things for thought

user may want to hilight a signal and see where it goes

schematics may get quite large and need 'sheets' ( sub-schematics ),
this necessitates 'off-schema signals' ( like 'continued on page 12a')

hal files may be hierarchical or sequential in the ini ( like includes
or multiply sequential entries )

the ability to move elements would be tricky in html, so a 'frozen'
schematic may be a difficulty/expectation for some

the library of elements (widgets/comps ) needs an editor

bi-direction... the ability to start with text or graphs and create the other

the ability to attach to threads ( micges & i created thread widgets
with prioritized pins )

the setting of constants

your work with graphviz/dotty is nice, thanks!

regards
TomP