Brian,
looking at your questions I get the feeling that you are a bloody
beginner as far as power electricity is concerned. I get the scares
imagining what you could possibly do to yourself and others,
experimenting with your mains supply. It would be much safer for you and
would calm my  nerves (and apoparently other's, too) if you'd call a
local electrician to wire the basic supply of your machinery or what you
have. It's worth your life's value. Please get yourself some sound
advice! This is not electronics where a fault only results in a burned
up transistor or so.

To make it clear: grounding is the up and down of electrical power
application. Imagine only a little high resistance insulation fault in
the primary of your local high voltage transfomer - if the secondary
would not be grounded in some way, in this case you could easily
experience 10 or 20 kV on your home outlet....  In case the secondary is
ground referenced by connecting the center tap of the secondary windings
to ground, this fault might not even be noticed! Floating potentials are
a highly dangerous thing, never leave any circuit unreferenced to ground!

Peter Blodow