is it not possible automate compilation processes?

--- On Fri, 11/25/11, Schooner <schoone...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

From: Schooner <schoone...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Next distribution after Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is, no longer
supported?
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Friday, November 25, 2011, 12:49 AM

Hi

The real problem it seems to me, is one of philosophy rather than what
is practically possible.

The use of Ubuntu as a carrier vehicle has enabled a lot of people with
minimal Linux knowledge to use EMC.
As Kirk said, if a better technical solution were used at the expense of
usability, that would impact upon the user base unless someone could be
bothered to wrapper it for the uninitiated (which is the overwhelming
majority).

There should be no reason why the user could not have a choice of
kernels from the distro at install time, one for SMP another for UP say.
That immediately would answer a lot of problems.

I personally do not like the later versions of Ubuntu and strip it out
and use a light display manager and windowing system, because I hate the
bloat and long initialisation time of Gnome and KDE.

I have been doing a lot of rtai kernel building recently.  Initially to
test the effect of different configs on a quad core MB latency and more
latterly to try to build a very light Debian based EMC distro, suitable
for old machines.
In the course of this I found that EMC runs well on a single processor
build of both Lenny and Squeeze and will install on both new and old
machines.
I currently use a Debian Lenny build, not Ubuntu to run EMC.

The longer term problem is that EMC has created a dependency upon a
version number of Ubuntu to bring the latest version of EMC to the
average user.
It does not matter how many times users are told that you can run the
latest 2.6 RIP on a Ubuntu 8.04 installation.

Because it involves the unknown territory of compilation, they are not
interested, all they want is another Live CD release that installs
everything for them.

So cater for them or it is just us geeks!

regards