On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Dave wrote:

> On 12/12/2011 3:25 PM, kqt4a...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Edward Bernard wrote:
>>

>>> Also, if you don't require high speeds this guy makes a small spindle that
>>> some guys are using for mill circuit boards: http://www.cnconabudget.com/.
>>>
>> Paul at cnconabudget made me a 1/8" tool holder for my Colt, great work, not
>> expensive
>> I have his 3 speed spindle and have had no problems
>>

> The cnconabudget spindle with a small DC brush motor is an entirely
> different animal than a 1.5 kw brushless spindle with an inverter.
> Other than the fact that they both rotate and hold bits they don't have
> much else in common.  With very small bits you need very high speeds.
> If you just want to go fast, Harbor Freight was selling a 60K rpm air
> powered tool for a while.   It looks like a big dentist drill and it
> holds 1/8th bits.
> I bought one for about $20 on sale and ran it briefly but never as a
> spindle - yet.  I have no idea how much real power it can deliver.
> Probably less than 100 watts.

I have only been playing with cnc for about a year so I am not knowledgeable
I think one of the main problems is rpms
The smaller the bit the more you need
The Colt will run at 30k but most die grinders are only maybe 24k
So what will run 50-60K for hours at a time and not wear out the first week
For that I might pry open my wallet

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011