Seems like a zillion years ago, when I was young and dumb, I bought a used
Phillips PM3212 25MHz triggered sweep dual trace scope from a vendor at the
Trenton Computer Fair.  I wasn't dumb enough for them though.  They sold it
without scope leads, so I found some bare copper wire and took it over to one
of the buildings and plugged it in to check the channels.  The whole thing was
dead as a doornail.  When I took it back to the vendor, he kindly took back the
paperweight and gave me another.  He had about 8 of them there for sale.  This
second one checked out and showed a nice square wave from the 1.2V calibration
output.
   I don't know how accurate the waveform is, and 25 MHz doesn't sound like
much, but it's fast enough to measure the speed of light in a small space
(about 12 inches per nanosecond) and it's fast enough to be useful on most
waveforms short of microwave.  The main thing is, when you need an
oscilloscope, you need an oscilloscope.  Sometimes even an old recurrent weep
dinosaur can save your bacon.