On 12/14/2011 06:59 PM, emc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> hello , bought a dell about 2 months ago, loaded with ubuntu 10.10? realized
> that wont work with emc, so i downloaded the live cd (from a windows machine)
> when i put the cd in the dell and try to open it it says it needs to be made
> bootable (???) i was able to verify the md5 checksum, do i have to format
> this drive? then install? also the getting started docs say you may have to
> write a command from dos, or shell? if your bios dont try to boot the disk is
> this my problem or does it just not want to roll back the version of ubuntu?
> thanx jeremy
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:59:15 -0800
> From: Dan Field<danfi...@roadrunner.com>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] emc install
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> Been a while so there's my disclaimer:  "Live CD" is bootable as I recall.
>
> Leave the "Live CD" in the  CD/dvd drive and reboot.     On first load
> screen look at the bottom to find    enter setup, usually say F2 but
> depends.
>
> Once in the Bios setup look for "Boot".    You want to change the order
> (  with  + or - on the keyboard ) to put the  CD/dvd drive First in Boot
> order.
>
> Save changes on exit
>
> Reboot and it should now look at the CD/dvd drive first.        Wait for
> the load and follow instructions.
>
> Remember to change the Boot order back to you Hard Drive when you're all
> done.
   I don't think you need to change back unless you're very security
conscious.  When there is no CD or DVD in the drive, it will fall back
to booting the hard drive.  If there is an audio CD in the drive it will
either see that it is not bootable, and boot from the hard drive, or it
will only complain until you remove the CD and then boot up.

   One other thing that can get you is that when burning a CD in Windows
(or Linux for that matter) your PC can offer to make a data disk for
you, instead of using the ISO file as a disk image.  If you boot up in
Windows, and put the CD in the drive, then use Windows Explorer to see
what's on the disk (or, if autorun asks what to do, choose look at files
and folders in folder view), if you only see one file, and it's
extension is .ISO, then your PC <sarcasm>helped you out</sarcasm> by
making a DATA CD, which is useless for this purpose.  If you find some
files and some folders, you have probably made a bootable CD.