On 12/15/2011 05:35 AM, emc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>> was thinking about this what if one was to attach a synchronus steppe as an
>> encoder one could under drive it ( incresed sensivity,and resolution), put
>> current limiting resistors inline (10 k ohm?) and opt isolate to protect
>> from overvoltage, and the back emf would provied sensor signal, any
>> thoughts? and maybe an h bridge to clamp low (i.e. braking?) seems like this
>> would be robust and relatively inexpensive with many benefits thanx jeremy
> nice in theory, in practice you'll face serious magnetic noise in a machine;
> I tried - not viable for me
>
> you're better off shooting a decent encoder off ebay or so
    If you're looking for cheap, you could try having Staples laser
print on transparency paper your favorite encoder disc from one of those
encapsulated postscript  encoder files, and reading it with the optics
from an old mouse with a ball.
   Does anybody think a somewhat universal encoder file in .EPS format
would make a good addition to the wiki?  I open them up in GIMP, and
write out a .JPG or .PNG that can be brought into LibreOffice and sized
to fit your needs (as long as there are enough dots per inch to your
printer.)  If you try this and you want great resolution (lots of dots),
and you have an old PC (256MEG of RAM) you WILL need a chunk of swap
space.  This can make GIMP seem like it's locked up, but as long as you
have enough swap space it will only take a long time.