On 12/28/2011 09:06 AM, Tim James wrote:
> I have downloaded and burnt the Live CD 10.04.
>
> It has worked on one desktop I tried but not on another or my
> laptop.
>
> I only have the laptop with me at the moment so I would like to
> install Ubuntu and EMC to find out more in conjunction with reading
> all the EMC manuals I have printed out.
>
> The laptop is a Panansonic Toughbook CF29,Windows XP,Pentium 4,756Mb
> ram.

what's more important to know is which chipset video and CPU are in there.

>> From the users emails over the last few days I tried the
>> ctrl/alt/f1and have experimented with the f6 boot options.
>
> The laptop appears to boot to a certain point and then the screen
> goes blank and then 'hangs' with the power off button being the only
> option.
>
> If I delete splash-- and replace it with vga=771 then the display
> remains on  and the laptop 'hangs' on pulseaudio configured for
> per-user sessions line.
>
> I have tried some of the other f6 suggestions but not all as yet (I
> will wear the power button out soon).
>
> I don't know if I can add the options  sequentially to the boot line
> or only use one at a time.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions rather than me working through all
> the f6 options without really knowing which maybe causing the boot
> problem ?
>
> Tim

First try to see if you can install it in text mode only. Next would be
Ubuntu 11.x to see if it works better or you could try perhaps kubuntu
version. If not then try a different distribution altogether. I would
try debian as ubuntu is based on it.

One other option is to try virtual installation inside XP to see if that
works. RT will not work of course, but you can still test basic EMC
functionality. Installing virtualbox from Oracle takes only a few minutes.

--
Rafael