On Monday, January 16, 2012 04:07:22 PM Cathrine Hribar did opine:

> Hi Gene:
>
> Could you give me some idea of what the advantage is of using 2 and 3
> stack steppers?  You seem to know a lot and I hope you don't mind me
> asking dumb questions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

As I see it, its a tradeoff, you can get torque approaching a nema 34 motor
in the nema 23 size form, that because the armature has a smaller OD, can
probably run at faster accelerating rates than the larger nema 34.  Weight
hanging on the end of the table looks like it might be less, even with the
so-called triple stack, longer & therefore heavier motors. In my case,
figuring out how to make couplings that are shorter would have allowed me
to put mine closer to the end of the tables, reducing the lever arm of the
weight whose cg is likely a good 6" outward.  Moving that inward an inch
and a half would I'm sure make a detectable improvement.

All this is pure opinion however, and there are folks here on this list
that can stand on much firmer ground when they write on the subject.  OTOH,
it also seems to me that the nema 34 motor should be a wee bit more
efficient in terms of amps in vs oz/in out.  But I'd expect one can get
arguments started just on that aspect alone.

An true expert I am not at this, I am a 100% self taught (and poor teacher
at times too) retired tv broadcast engineer with only a GED, CET on the
wall.  And a degree UHK (University of Hard Knocks) since I'm only 30 miles
from them & had a few bucks to spare.

There are some decent tutorials on steppers available on the net, many of
which I think start at a bit too basic a level, but they do fairly well
cover the subject.  But I'd also expect that you've done that bit of
homework already.

Cheers, Gene
God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to
change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference.