On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:16:45 AM cogoman did opine:

> > Could you give me some idea of what the advantage is of using 2 and 3
> >
> > >  stack steppers?
>
>    Perhaps I'm in over my head here, but I'll share what I think I
> know.  The tendency for 2 to 3 stack steppers is for the magnetic
> circuit inside to get too long, and create high inductance for the
> amount of field strength it produces.  This limits the top speed of the
> stepper (the assumption here is standard 200 steps per rev steppers).
> There's a point where stepping up to a NEMA34 from a NEMA23 will get the
> torque needed with less inductance, which allows for more speed.
>    This, is more theoretical than practical, since it is quite possible
> to design a slow stepper in both NEMA23 and NEMA34 sizes, and many do
> just that.  While a fast stepper motor needs to have less than 3 mH
> inductance per coil, I have seen even small steppers with over 10 mH.
>
> Rexstep stepper motors
> <http://www.homeshopcnc.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.br
> owse&category_id=1&Itemid=1> and usa stepper motors
> <http://www.usautomation.com/StepMotors.aspx> seem to have low
> inductance per torque, assuming you can trust their specs.
>
> This one
> <http://www.mpja.com/62V1A18-Deg-NEMA-23-Step-Motor/productinfo/17455+MS
> />, and this one
> <http://www.mpja.com/78V2A18-Deg-NEMA-34-Step-Motor/productinfo/17457+MS
> /> seem to have too much inductance for fast operation.

Probably one of the reasons Marlin has those at what looks like a decent
price.  TANSTAAFL applies.

> So practically
> speaking, you need to evaluate each motor separately.

That takes some knowledge of the motors else you don't really know what is
important for a given job.  Frankly I am not beyond that stage myself.

Cheers, Gene
She always believed in the old adage -- leave them while you're looking
good.
                -- Anita Loos, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"