On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Dave Panetta(The Spam Catcher) <
thespamcatc...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> What exactly did they copyright? "EMC"? or "/Enhanced Machine Controller/"?
> EMC is just an acronym - can they actually claim an acronym?
> As someone else said - their lawyers are trying to justify their jobs.
>
> What about all of the - Electric Membership Corporations - EMC?
>
> I belong to and get my power from Jackson EMC. There are dozens if not
> hundreds of power company EMCs in the USofA,
> do they plan on suing them also?
>
> Just wondering.

It is not a copyright, it is a trademark. You cannot copyright an acronym,
but you can trademark one.

A copyright protects a work, such as a novel, a song or a piece of computer
software from illegal duplication.

A trademark is a brand name, logo, or other distinguishing mark that
consumers recognize as part of your branding, and allows companies to
protect their name and reputation in the marketplace. Trademarks can be
very broad. For example, you can even tradmark a color. For example, no
soft drink can use the same shade of green that Mountain Dew uses for their
bottles, and in the tool industry, the respective shades of Red, Yellow and
Blue used by Lincoln, ESAB, and Miller are all trademarked. Everlast
Welders recently had to change from yellow to green to avoid a lawsuit by
ESAB.