On Thursday, January 19, 2012 02:11:52 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 19 January 2012 17:43, Kyle Kerr <ker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see a number of posts on this list regarding VFDs that I thought I
> > would share this bit of information in case it was not on your radar.
> >
> > http://hackaday.com/2012/01/19/building-a-variable-frequency-drive-for
> > -a-three-phase-motor/
>
> Aha! The IRAMS module!.

Hummm.  Interesting article in that some of the links expound on the power
efficiency of such an approach.

Is this general family of IRAMS module available such that it could drive a
2-5 horse 3 phase motor on a lathe.  It seems the 3 to 6 amp rating of that
exact device he used would be a bit puny for such service.

I ask because I've bypassed some decent sounding machinery on ebay simply
because it needed a 3 phase supply, and I only have a 252 volt leg to leg
single phase available in my neighborhood.  Commonly called 220 by the
unwashed.  Those machines become much more appetizing when their power
usage can actually be scaled according to the actual work being done.
Particularly the startup surge that tends to fatigue both fuses and
thermally driven circuit breakers.

Cheers, Gene
The worst part of having success is trying to find someone who is happy for
you.
                -- Bette Midler