well, since people keep tripping over this glade install path issue I looked
into it and it seems it can be fixed:

Glade 3.3.3
    - Defined environment variables GLADE_MODULE_PATH & GLADE_CATALOG_PATH,
catalogs will be
      searched in GLADE_CATALOG_PATH and widget libraries/support modules in
GLADE_MODULE_PATH. - Tristan Van Berkom

I'll see how we can massage this into rip-environment so glade does the right
thing when running RIP

-m