On 01/31/2012 05:42 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 05:37:54 AM Mark Wendt did opine:
>

>> On 01/30/2012 11:35 PM, gene heskett wrote:
>> <snippage>
>>

>>> Both machines have now been rebooted, it seems you can't reboot just
>>> one end of an NFS link as the un-rebooted end of it will lock solid,
>>> needs a reset button push to reboot within about 10 minutes.  But
>>> that is secondary.  Faint memories remind me that it happened several
>>> times before&   may be one of the reasons I didn't really want to use
>>> nfs.  But it otherwise is working well for the usage I need.
>>>
>> Gene, NFS really shouldn't be doing that.  Sounds like the client side
>> is hanging when it can't complete any I/O to the NFS mounted disk.  What
>> I'd do in that case is run the NFS server on your pclos machine, and the
>> client on your Ubuntu box.  If you reboot your Ubuntu box to clear a
>> LinuxCNC (gawd, it's hard not to type EMC2...) problem, the NFS server
>> shouldn't freeze up, since it only lost the client connection.  When the
>> Ubuntu machine comes back up, it'll just NFS mount the disk on the pclos
>> machine.  That should cure the lock problem.
>>

> Bear in mind Mark, that I now have it setup so each is both a client and a
> server, so that I can copy stuff in both directions.  No clue if that is a
> no-no, but it works, until I reboot either one.  Perhaps some other option
> needs to be enabled in /etc/exports?  Like Sgt. Schultz, I no nothing. :)
>
> Cheers, Gene

Do you really need to do that?  That does make rebooting a bit
trickier.  How are you mounting the NFS partitions?  By that I mean,
what options are you using?  Have you tried using the "soft" mounting
option, along with "retrans=n"?  The default is "hard" and it keeps
banging away with NFS requests indefinitely.  "soft", in conjunction
with the "retrans" option stops that behavior after "n" attempts.

Mark