> See for example the interesting pycparser project at
> http://code.google.com/p/pycparser. It uses clang/llvm :
> http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2011/07/03/parsing-c-in-python-with-clang/ which
> is a bit on the heavy side for the task at hand, but I already used pycparser
> successfully to aid in a refactoring task, which was pretty close to
> prettyprinting and fairly simple to do.

oh, I mixed something up here. pycparser uses ply, which is basically lex &
yacc for Python; the clang/llvm Python bindings are something else.

actually a Python RS274ngc based on ply would be an interesting option, because
plugging it into the current interpreter is relatively easy since many of the
Python bindings needed are in place, and the infrastructure to extend them
works fine and is in the current code base.

one would need a bit of ballpark figure performance testing. Other than that,
this looks viable.

-m