2012/1/31 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>:

>  This can be mitigated by putting a common mode choke (Big
> ferrite bead) over the three motor leads (DO NOT include the ground lead)

1) I wrapped each of 3 power wires for motor around a separate ferrite bead.
2) I connected machine frame to common earth ground.

> Please try the encoder sample rate lowering example I provided. This will
> quickly help to see if there is a noise problem. Noise piked up by the
> encoder wires either inductively or capacitively tends to be short pulses.
> By lowering the input bandwidth a lot of this kind of noise can be filtered
> out.

3) Edited INI file, so that firmware load line is this:
CONFIG="firmware=hm2/5i23/SVSTTP6_6_7I39.BIT num_encoders=3
num_3pwmgens=3 num_stepgens=2 enable_raw"

4) Added to HAL file these lines:

setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.raw.write_address      13312
# = 0x3400 = encoder Sample Rate Register

setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.raw.write_data         14
# sample rate is clocklow (48 MHz)/SRR+2
# so divide by 16 = 3 Mhz

setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.raw.write_strobe       1
# do write

5) In "Show machine config" I additionally ran:
setp hm2_5i23.0.raw.write_strobe 1

> Here's one way to check for lost encoder counts:
>
> Mark the shaft and the stator with a pencil/scribe at DRO reading of 0. Move
> around a lot or until you have the stall problem, turn off motor power and
> hand crank back to DRO 0 and check pencil mark alignment. This should get you
> to within a few 10s of counts

6) Scratched a mark in pulley and straight line in motor mounting plate.
Aligned so that mark was on the line.
Started up Emc.
In Hal Meter I opened encoder.0.rawcounts pin, which had a value of 0.
Jogged the joint, motor stalled at least 10 times, each time I stopped
it with F2, then pressed F2 again, jogged again until it stopped and
started to oscillate, so I stopped again with F2 and so on.
After a while I turned off motor power (encoder power remained) and
aligned the mark and the line (I could not see the screen while doing
that).
Rawcounts pin had a value -1

7) I tested - jogging bare motor works just fine, which, in case of
acceleration lag in encoder, is obvious.

The first 5 points were implemented so that all of them were in
effect, when last point was conducted.

The observed impact of first 5 points - NONE.

So my conclusion is - machine is not losing encoder counts, there is
no significant noise in encoder signal.

Could it be anything else, but the encoder problem?

Viesturs