On 02/15/2012 01:45 PM, dave wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:26:20 -0500
> gene heskett<ghesk...@wdtv.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:21:07 PM kqt4a...@gmail.com did
>> opine:
>>
>>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, gene heskett wrote:
>>> A hardrive disk?
>> Glass? That doesn't sound like it would be easily worked.  Really old
>> ones, alu maybe as I expect there's nothing gummy about that alloy.
>> I do have a drive or 6 that could be sacrificed on that altar
>> though.  Packratitis is a serious disease, you could get killed in an
>> earthquake that way.  :)
>>
> Ah! yes, but chrome plated glass is perfect for a photoetch job.
> If the disc is Al or steel with a chrome/nickel layer on top then
> machining should not be too difficult.

   It may be harder than you think...  When I was maintaining sputtering
machines, the first thing we did, was sputter the glass disks with
nickel, and then a alloy called CNRPPPT, then pure carbon.  After
failure analysis, long chain polymer was applied to cut down on air
resistance, and provide minimal protection from head crashes.

   The CNRPPPT is a proprietary blend of metals that I'm still under
NDA.   I can tell you that the C is Chrome, the N is Nickel, one of the
P's is Platinum, and that's all I can tell you.

--
-Mark

Ne M'oubliez   ---Family Motto
Hope for the best, plan for the worst   ---Personal Motto