On 2/19/2012 9:57 AM, John Stewart wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas; I *believe*, though that:
>
> 1) the old dry-transfer "lettraset" white letters you used to purchase are no
> longer being produced;
>
> 2) decal paper for laser/inkjet printers - you can get it clear or white, but
> printing white on clear (white lines and old script lettering) is not
> possible - no white ink!
>
> 3) the old AALPS (sp?) printer people used is no longer being made and the
> cartridges are hard to get; (they had multi colours, including white)
>
> 4) printing with a CNC printer would have that "neat" factor.
>
> There are people who will make ink decals on clear decal paper (or, dry
> transfer lettering), so there are lots of ways still do this - I don't know
> the lead time or cost, though. (not that those really matter, as these
> locomotives take years to build, and any high costs get amortized over the
> years)
>
> Waiting for my Oldham couplers to arrive from misumi so that I can get my CNC
> machine back running --
>
> JohnS.

John:

I've never used it and I see from the website that the cost could mount
up (maybe you could amortize the cost over a group of like-minded
enthusiasts?), but the DecalProfx product from PulsarProfx
(www.pulsarfx.com) explicitly states

"Make REAL dry-transfer (eg. "rub down") decals with no visible carrier
in about 8 minutes. Simply print using a B&W laser (or copier) and
convert the graphic or text to WHITE or any of a dozen real METALLIC
shades plus do FULL COLOR graphics using any color laser printer or
color copier. All of our products come with total tech support by phone
with 100% customer satisfaction, money-back guarantee."

Don't forget to post a link to pix of your loco when it's finished!
Inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,
Kent