On 25 February 2012 02:55, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

>> The effect of this is (I think) that the back-emf is very small, and
>> the current very high, for a given torque.
>>
> HUH?  On a permanent magnet motor, the back EMF is determined entirely by
> the magnets, and will be the same with or without driving current.

The back-emf in any particular field winding will be independent of
the current, but the field windings which are driven by the H-bridge
at any one time will be different between a properly commutated bldc
with a 90 degree phase shift and one being driven effectively as a
low-pole-count infinite-microstepping stepper motor.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.