On 2/26/2012 3:47 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> Why does LinuxCNC's Ladder have a Modbus slave? Does anyone use it? I'm
> looking into using it for testing a LinuxCNC TCP master, but wondered if
> it might be used elsewhere. I'd also like to get an idea of how many
> people use PLC's and/or ModbusTCP with LinuxCNC.

I think the Modbus slave (Modbus server) only works in TCP mode.  I have
never tried it but it could be very useful for linking two
LinuxCNC boxes.   I have tested the TCP master but never used Modbus TCP
on an actual application.

Most of my LinuxCNC applications include a PLC as the I/O is cheap and
flexible but I usually use a RS232 or RS485 link.

The external PLC allows some of the processing to be offloaded to the
PLC for functions external to the CNC functionality.

I think the Modbus TCP slave functionality was part of Classic Ladder so
it was integrated along with the rest of the Classic Ladder package into
LinuxCNC.

Chris Morley would know a lot more than I do about the history.

Dave