Bill,
If you plan on using a Windows environment, then you can use Microchip's
MPLAB PIC IDE and several different C compilers, all freeware.  MPLABX
is a new platform that is still a bit buggy, though usable.  And it will
run under Linux.  I use the PICKit 3 to program PICs, no problem.  I use
it in a Windows environment because I also need to program FTDI chips
(USB) and they don't offer a Linux version.  I run all Windows within
VirtualBox, so I don't have to transfer files around between systems.

Google MPLAB and you should get the microchip site, or
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/mplab/X/

Hope this helps

Doug Goff