On 03/14/2012 12:50 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:11 -0400, Mark Wendt wrote:
> ... snip
>
>>> I tried that 2 or 3 times, ate my lunch every time. Deletes too much.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene
>>>

>> I forgot one thing - 'make distclean, ./configure;  make'.  The
>> distclean usually deletes the Makefile created by './configure'.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> If I'm not mistaken, this all presumes that ./configure and "make 'any
> function here'" exist.
>
> To get this straight, if "make clean" does exist and it deletes all of
> the .o files (and usually bins and other user files?), gcc will notice
> on the next "make" that the .o's need to be compiled and will compile
> all of the .c's and .h's even though none of the files have changed?
>
> Also, in one library, the author uses data type prefixes, such as
> ucMycounter instead of mycounter, then look for where it is defined to
> see what type it is, such as unsigned char. Is this preferred practice?
>
> Is there a good (modern) reference to use as C and Linux development
> how-to and best practices?

'make clean' comes with every set of source code I've ever gotten over
the last 10 years or so.  'make distclean' comes with most all of them
too.  If you ended up with a bum Makefile for some reason, 'make clean'
will not get rid of it.  'disclean' also cleans up the config.cache,
config.log, config.status and a few other things.  You're basically
starting fresh when you run ./configure again.

Mark