On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:22:35 -0700
> From: Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>
> To: LinuxCNC Users List <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Smart Serial
>
> I've been looking at the Mesa 5i25 and wondered if Smart Serial is
> compatible with Modbus?

No, its been designed to be real time from the beginning.

This is not to say the the firmware in the FPGA module could not be taught to
speak MODBUS but its really been designed as a synchronous (the comms are
standard 8 bit async) realtime master slave interface where we always expect a
reply or fault info in a very short time period

It also supports discovery which I dont think is possible with MODBUS but Im
not sure of this

> --
> Kirk Wallace
> http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/