On 9 Apr 2012, at 13:09, Jeshua Lacock <jes...@3dtopo.com> wrote:

> All I know is I only have enough pulse bandwidth to run my servos quite slow.
> I thought this was based on how fast my computer can send pulses to the
> Geckos.

If the drive is set to 10000 pulses per inch and you are using software step
generation then a typical base-thread rate of 30,000nS should let you move at 3
inches per second. Using hardware pulse generation you should be able to
increase this, as long as the drive system can cope.

I suspect the confusion comes from the subject line referring to counting
rather than pulse generation.

The Mesa 5i25 looks like a parallel port card and (in the G540 configuration)
you wire it like a parallel port card. It isn't a huge problem to make a custom
DB25 cable to adapt the pinouts if required.

(In other configurations it can be nothing like a parallel port, and you can
hook 384 lines of IO to it, or directly connect 16 30A servo drives)