On 4/27/2012 6:59 PM, cogoman wrote:
> for section 2 Getting Started.
>
>     I have not yet gotten too far with CAD/CAM to generate gcode, but I
> have a suggestion to run up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.  I
> suggest we select 2 CAD/CAM solutions to include on the CD, with special
> support in the wiki.  One would allow complex things to be done (with
> it's steep learning curve), and one would be simple and easy, so as to
> have a short learning curve.
>
>     I (selfishly) suggest we use blender for the complicated one (since I
> have a project that will require multiple parts to be attached having
> only axes in common).
>
>     I have used GSimple to make some parts, but I recently found that
> LibreOffice Draw allows me to draw to scale.  I have printed out a drill
> guide for center punching the location of holes in an orderly manner on
> a wooden project and the printout was practically to scale.  Though I
> haven't tried it, Draw claims to be able to export to Scaled Vector
> Graphics (.SVG), and in the wiki the CAM plugin for blender is supposed
> to work off of the .SVG file.  PyCAM is supposed to work with .SVG, so
> we might only need to cover instructions on using one CAM solution for
> both the easy and the hard.  These two CAD/CAM solutions would get
> special emphasis on the wiki to get people up and running quicker, and
> these wiki pages would also be included on the CD.
>
>     I know the CD is already nearly full, but I suspect we could make
> room for these, and if not, we could remaster it as a DVD with these
> tools and their necessary tutorials.  Perhaps if a DVD is required, we
> could include video tutorials to further help out.
>
> On 04/27/2012 01:26 PM, Kent A. Reed wrote:
>> Section 2.
>>
>> "Hardware Requirements" needs work to bring it up to current technology,
>> both in terms of LinuxCNC and in terms of platforms. Since the following
>> subsection "LinuxCNC Supported Hardware" also uses the word "Hardware"
>> but in the sense of interfaces, I think it would be useful to choose the
>> title "Computer Requirements" instead.
>>
>> "LinuxCNC Supported Hardware" is probably as good as it gets given the
>> flux in the marketplace.
>>
>> "Latency Test" is a conundrum for me. I can't figure whether it would be
>> better to sort it on brandname or on date of the system. Right now the
>> table seems a mixture of top posting, bottom posting, and alphabetical
>> posting. Still, I wouldn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
>     Why not have a few pages with the data sorted different ways, and
> links at the top of the pages so each points to each of the others, and
> the back link of all 3 of 4 pointing back to the wiki main page?

Sorry I overlooked your reply 'til now, cogoman.

This is an interesting idea and one that could easily dovetail with my
musings of a few minutes ago. I don't know about space availability on
the current CD and going this route would impose additional work on
those who have to create and test the CD master, but packaged it
separately seems dead easy.

It seems to me the first thing is to put up example approaches on the
wiki and if they gain traction then make them available via an automated
distribution mechanism, whether the package repository approach or a
CD/DVC image.

Just my 2cents worth.

Regards,
Kent