I'm finally getting up my CHNC wired up a piece at a time and am
wondering which way to go on the Ubu. version?

  I have played with 8.04 and it seems to be faster than 10.04, probably
because of bloat. The install is in a 2.6Gh machine running Pico Systems
hardware so I don't think the latency is quite as important as a
step/direction machine.

Any thoughts or ideas?

TIA  Ed.

PS   Jon,you will be getting some questions as I go.