On 5/10/2012 6:25 AM, Bill Hill wrote:
> On 10 May 2012, at 03:21, Jack Coats wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Scott Hasse<scott.ha...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I presume many of you have seen the hype on the Raspberry Pi.  Am I correct
>>> in thinking that getting LinuxCNC to run on one of those would require an
>>> arm-specific RTAI and drivers for the device-specific I/O?  Has anyone else
>>> given any thought to this potentially disruptive platform in the context of
>>> LinuxCNC?
>>>
>>> Scott
>> I was thinking about the same thing.  I did do some search to see there are
>> folks selling real time software for the ARM, but I am sure it isn't
>> open software.
> Here's xenomai "Real-Time Framework for Linux" running on an embedded arm
> board:-
>      http://www.federicololli.com/xenomaifoxg20.htm
> Can LinuxCNC use xenomai?
>    Bill

Thanks for the pointer, Bill. I had not seen this work.

Your question may be moot. My old eyes aren't what they used to be but
squinting at the screen capture of the latency test results, the
sampling period appears to be 1000us and the latency appears to range
between 0.9681 to 68.798, hence we're looking at a range of 968us to
68798us. This is huge compared to, say, the < 10us Intel Atom results
posted to our Wiki.

I hope the situation gets better with time, because I like having
choices. I'm just not holding my breath:-)

Regards,
Kent