On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:51:44 PM Dave did opine:

> Sounds like a good idea.  :-)
> Looks like you can get some good deals on Ebay!    New, some custom
> bamboo fly rods are crazy expensive.
> That one you linked even still has the spare tip!  Nice.
>
> Dave

I think I'm in the wrong business.  In the 60's, we could buy, for about a
tenner, 9 foot, spare tip, Chinese bamboo rods.  One caveat, you had to
hang them up by the tip.  Lean them in the corner and the next time you
reached for it, it had a very pronounced curve that took 3 days or so to
straighten.  With a #9 WF line on it, they swung effortlessly and I could
lay a little green popper bug, or a #4 fly within a foot of any rise within
25 yards of where I stood.  No glass rod I have ever owned since can make
that claim with the same automatic reel & similar line.  They simply do not
move as one continuous extension of your arm like bamboo does, too light,
and too stiff.

Truly, in fly fishing, bamboo is where its at.  One of those old rods
survived long enough for me to take it fishing on the San Juan River just
below Navajo Dam in the late 70's when I was the CE at KIVA-TV in
Farmington NM.  Nothing beats pulling on chest waders in 110F heat,
standing waist deep in 38 degree water, with the air temp above that water
somewhere around 110F, and have a 12" Brown grab your barb-less fly and
find the energy to dance for you for 2 or 3 minutes before finally getting
a grip on him to unhook and release him.  Your hand will feel like its
frozen and he is almost as hard.  Firm, truly wild trout.  I can, after
having done it several times, understand why the sports rag writers are
literally orgasmic when they write about that, the most famous 3 miles of
trout water on the planet.  A long ways from enough civilization to have a
pop machine, and the ice in your cooler will be long gone by the time you
get there, it is never crowded even on a busy day.  And, considering that
all the kokanee salmon you can snag is just 5 miles away in the lake
itself, a fisherman is truly in hog heaven there.

[...]

Cheers, Gene
If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.