On 5/23/2012 12:53 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 23 May 2012 15:06, Kent A. Reed<kentallanr...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I got as far as bringing up my own custom build of Linux with a cut-down
>> X, but then it got taken up as a display for my grandkids
> This looks vaguely interesting in this context:
> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/android-builders-summit/mauerer

Cool. His slides are a bit sketchy and he's talking about PREEMPT_RT,
but it's progress. All his latency numbers are captured in
difficult-to-assess bar graphs but they look to be the right order of
magnitude.

On the same site I found the slides for Yaghmour's talk "Leveraging
Android's Linux Heritage". They were both informative and useful in the
sense that they added to my belief that I should stay away. His Goal
slide reads

     - Opening as many cans of worms as possible
     -  Can "Linux and Android Coexist and Interact?"

I grant the first line is intended to be a humorous ice breaker as shown
by it's being struck through, but the rest of his talk makes clear to me
there really are some cans of worms lying in wait.

Obviously, chroot'ing an Android device is often possible but I think
I'll stick to devices I can work with from the bare metal up.

Of course, if someone else wants to get their hands dirty, I'll be glad
to hold their coat:-)

Thanks for the pointer, Andy. Even with aggregators like
news.ycombinator.com at my fingertips, I miss a lot.

Regards,
Kent