Greetings all;

I did some more fine tuning of the drivers, making changes in the drivers
stepper divider because the scale value was over 50k, so I changed it from
1600/step/rev to 1000, which drops the scale value to 32000 even.  Because
that motor is geared 2/1 to the 16tpi carriage leadscrew, it seems to be
doing around 300 revs at 20 ipm, and is about tapped out.

So I think I have about hit the limit without putting an even bigger nema
34 motor on it and re-rigging for direct drive.  Not gonna happen on my
watch, not enough of me left anyway.  The bigger motor on the carriage
however is doing exactly as I feared, it so heavy that its lifting the
front end of the carriage just enough that I can see it twisting about 2
thou with the front v-way rising a thou or so to allow this twist before
the flat slide at the rear of the carriage starts moving when the direction
is reversed.  My thoughts are to add a couple small ball bearings, spring
loaded against the bottom lip of the V, but at that point I may as well
pull the rack because it would be in the way, and figure on driving it only
with the motor.  And at the same time now that I know what the crossfeed
drive needs, bring that motor about 1.6" closer to the back of the carriage
as its "out back" by about 3.5" right now.

It looks as if my next project might be making hens teeth, a piece for a
1931 Willis Knight's combo light, horn and starter switch.  Since this
piece is now made out of pure unobtainium and has been for probably 65
years, what (PM me) would you be charging per hour on such a project that
can fit nicely in your pocket polo shirts pocket?

Cheers, Gene
I'm glad we don't have to play in the shade.
                -- Golfer Bobby Jones on being told that it was 105 degrees
                   in the shade.