On 6/6/2012 6:01 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 4 June 2012 19:18, Dave<e...@dc9.tzo.com>  wrote:
>

>> Makes sense.  Thermocouples are the standard on all of the commercial
>> plastic extruders I have worked on.
>> By the time you do linearization of a TC and cold junction compensation,
>> you might was well buy a cheap PID controller
>>
> As an alternative (though probably more expensive than most home
> FDN-ers would like to pay) is this $20 chip which does all the work
> then talks SPI.
> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/temperature-sensor/6987118/
> LinuxCNC can talk SPI through Mesa cards.

Still, that seems like a lot considering I can buy something like this
(and this is not the cheapest available) for $60 complete with a display
and Modbus interface.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Process_Control_-a-_Measurement/Temperature_-z-_Process_Controllers/1-z-16_DIN_Size_%28SL4848_Series%29/SL4848-CV

I found some links to Chinese suppliers who have controllers closer to
$30, but of course you have to ship them from China.

Doing effective analog temp control on the cheap (actually dirt cheap
level) is difficult when dealing with higher temperatures.

Dave