Except that the encoder  is not a TTL output encoder but a differential
line driver model encoder:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Encoders/Medium_Duty_Standard_Shaft_%28TRD-N_Series%29/TRD-N1024-RZVWD
TRD-N1024-RZVWD

Brian are you sure this is the correct part number for your encoder?
Automation Direct sells a very similar encoder but with single ended TTL
outputs.

The jumpers on the Mesa card has to correspond to the encoder type
(differential line driver or TTL) otherwise nothing will work right.

Dave