On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:53:51 -0400, you wrote:

>But when it was about 90% cut, I noticed that the last thread against the
>shoulder was obviously undersized because the actual retract motion wasn't
>being done as fast as the -e=.009 was giving it.  Thinking on that, it made
>sense to reset that to about -e= to about .020, or slightly over half a
>revolution.  So I did, and while the damage had been done by then, it at
>least didn't make it any worse by the time I had achieved the desired tight
>fit into the breech plug itself.

You're never going to get a full thread all the way to a shoulder. Two
methods of getting around that are a relief groove up against the
shoulder, or a counter bore in the female thread. They don't need to be
large, only deep enough for thread depth and 1 pitch - that's easy on
the female thread, but not so on the mail thread with the shoulder in
the way of the insert. Usually my CAM program works out the width/depth
of the relief groove or how close I can get to the shoulder without
gouging it with the flank of the insert or tool holder. It does a pretty
good job most of the time getting awfully close before retracting,
occasionally not - likely my fault being sloppy with touching off :)

>I've just spent a couple hours searching for what looks like a better deal,
>but if I want a ball screw, it is the nut I'll have to turn by attaching
>the screw to the crossfeed sled, and turn the nut, mounted in bearings much
>like I did the Z drive for my mill.  Not only bulky but adding unwanted
>weight to the rear of the carriage.  Sigh...

I wouldn't worry about weight on the rear of the carriage, with front
tool posts it's always wanting to lift the back - more weight may help
counter that some.

Steve Blackmore