Sorry, correction/addition to be made:
Later panels were delivered by Spectragraphics, not SGI. They all had a
male DB9 connector on a 1 m cable. Besides, there was another important
workstation part to go with it, an active key panel with 32 back
illuminated keys (soft function keys). Look for it, would make a nice
pendant, if reverse engineered.

Peter