On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:00:10 -0400, you wrote:

>Sag is only the start of the problem.  The whip is going to be the real
>problem.  The ballnut is no holp holding it up at the limits of travel.

Not strictly true - the size needs to be CAREFULLY calculated for the
job in hand and the mounting method needs to be considered.

Good ballscrew manufacturers have tables that define limits for their
screws, but the examples I've looked at require both ends to be fixed
and max rotational speed of around 1000 rpm for a 3m long 25mm ballscrew
with loads kept below 2000 Kg.

As long as you follow manufacturers specs it isn't going to whip or
destroy the ballnut. That said, for a 10ft long screw I'd go bigger than
25mm :)

A Google search for

ballscrew length versus diameter

gives lots of data.