Have you considered rack and pinion for your machine. CNCrouterparts has a very
affordable solution:
http://www.cncrouterparts.com/rack-and-pinion-drive-nema-34-p-80.htmlI've not
used them but they have gotten good reviews from users at CNCzone and I've been
happy with other components of theirs I've used on my machine.

We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for
fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy -- sun,
wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy.
What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal
run out before we tackle that. -Thomas Edison, inventor (1847-1931)