To Andy & Steve;

I made another of the dual thread screws yesterday, and can report that it
seems to work well.  However it seems that I must have a flexibility
problem in using a cutoff knife sharpened with a 60 degree V and a slight
(10 degree?) hook though.  Or it doesn't have sufficient 'heel' clearance
and is being pushed until there is a supporting thread on both sides of the
tooth.

The entrance thread, even though the starting point of the fwd cutting
stroke is well off the end of the workpiece, I am getting a 'first thread
is bigger' effect, about 15 thou bigger TBE!  This was very obvious when I
cut the 10-32 thread, slightly less so when I cut the 7mmx1.00, but
required I trim about 2/3rds of the first thread off with a dremel diamond
wheel.

Two things became obvious, one being that I have no way to actually measure
the pitch diameter of a thread in progress, and because of the fat end
thread syndrome, it doesn't seem practical to try and use the matching
threading die as an "am I done" test gage.  That, and the die I have seems
to have several thou of thread clearance, so a hole tapped with the tap, is
a pretty sloppy fit on a screw made by the matching die.  I like my threads
to fit better than that.

How much of a heel clearance angle do you folks use when sharpening a
single tooth, and how much 'hook' on the top face?

I want to make a jig for this as setting up the rotary table on the mill,
and tipping it fwd to get the heel clearance angle seems to work but is a
setup PIMA due to the tables motor hitting the heads gearbox.

Cheers, Gene
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.
                -- Mark Twain