On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:45:23 +0100, you wrote:

>Dual turret (or spindle) machines do seem to come in an incredible variety
>of languages. I remember one particularly awkward machine that used z_[1]x
>through z_[5]x to define which spindle you were moving, followed by a g-code
>to tell it to actually move the Z-axis. Normal Xn Yn Zn moves would move all
>5 spindles at the same time.

Argghhh :)

>I was referring to how linuxcnc currently handles those words - but this
>thread seems to have rekindled some discussion about how to handle
>multi-tool machines in linuxcnc.

It's a pity that UVW are reserved and not available, it would be much
easier if the axis words were only reserved by hal or ini, rather than
globally or simply ignored as an axis in a lathe canned cycle block.

>If I can retain the UW syntax I will, but the methods I have tried so far
>won't allow it. The remapping method suggested by Michael Haberler may or
>may not allow the use of these words, but would require a different method
>to define the profile.

I'm not keen, as you say it detracts even further from some sort of
compatibility and adds even more complexity to a simple function. When
you use multiple control types it becomes a nightmare.

>I never really understood why UW in G71 were that essential, IK seems to do
>the same job with the added bonus of a smooth pre-finish cut. I suppose it
>depends a lot on the part.

Yea - I know what you mean. I don't think they are essential if you are
going to use a finishing cycle or other processes after.

I do some CAM consultancy and my list of different post processors gets
longer and more complex these days. Personally if I'm testing a new part
I tend not to use cycles at all, it makes it much easier to see where
you can trim some time off the machining and what section may cause a
problem. Very often the optimised code ends up longer, but quicker :)

Steve Blackmore