On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 08:55 -0400, N. Christopher Perry wrote:
> I've got an old CNC Bridgeport Vertical Mill I'm looking to upgrade.
> I'm fairly sure it is a BOSS 5.  It does have stepper motors on in,
> but haven't had a chance to check whether they are Superiors or Sigmas
> motors yet.  Except for the motors, it looks exactly like this:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/new/DSC01640.jpg
>
> Anyway, I've got some Parker OEM650 stepper drives on hand and would
> like to use those for my retrofit, but they will only accommodate
> phase inductances of 1 - 10 mH.  Does anyone know what the inductances
> are for the Superiors and Sigmas?
>
> N.C.

Someone is bound to say this, so it might as well be me.

>From what I hear, the original Boss stepper motor magnets where probably
the best they had at the time, but now are pretty awful. I would be
inclined to not put any money into the present steppers. I would try to
get it running with what you had on hand and see if you can live with
it, or go to a servo system (brushed or brushless).

YAO (yet another opinion)

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html