On 9/8/2012 5:22 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> Rather off-topic, but I think a lot of us will feel a commonality with
> the main character in
> "Trustee from the Toolroom" by Nevil Shute.
> (Available on Kindle)

Andy:

Shute was a favorite in my parents' household because of his aviation
engineering background (like my dad). I had read "A Town Called Alice",
"Trustee from the Toolroom," and "On the Beach" by the time I graduated
high school. The latter so depressed me that I had forgotten the others.

Looking up Nevil Shute now, I see a quote my dad must have appropriated
from him (of course my dad Americanized the currency): "It has been said
an engineer is a man who can do for five shillings what any fool can do
for a pound...."

Thanks for reminding me.

Regards,
Kent