On 09/27/2012 09:41 AM, Dave Caroline wrote:
> I would work better if you switch it on!
There is someone at work who has done it to me so often that the first
thing I say to her is "Did you plug it in? Did you turn it on?"

   One day she came to me and said something like "The computer's stuck
in DOS.  Fix it!"

   Did you plug it in? Did you turn it on? I asked.

   "Yes I plugged it in and turned it on!" She confidently affirmed.

   I went to check it out.  She hadn't read the screen which cryptically
said that there was no video signal.

   Text, not a wallpaper, looked like DOS to her.  The old AT style
computer had just been replaced with an ATX style computer at the same
station.  I went back and told her I just turned it on (and told her
where to do it herself).  She HAD turned on the power strip associated
with that system.

   I used to program GenRad in circuit testers, and the language allowed
you to use any base for a number you wanted.

b'10110111'       o'267'       and       x'b7'

all represented the same number.  The gotcha for me was that if you left
the base designation out, it took the number to represent a pin on the
device you were testing.

If I said addr=2      instead of addr=d'2'      the software would
dutifully look to see what value was on pin 2, and apply that value to
the address bus (inserting as many preceeding zeros as necessary).

   That one bit me regularly, and all too often.