On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 18:33 +0200, Roland Jollivet wrote:
> On 10 October 2012 17:31, Jason Burton <lathebuil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In that case let's reframe the problem.
> >
> > Build something akin to a felt tipped marker with a dome shaped tip.
> > Complete with adhesive reservoir instead of ink.
> >
> > Mount it tip down with a small vertical actuator. An air cylinder perhaps.
> >
> > Apply adhesive to the wood instead of the marble.
> >
> > Might that serve your purpose better?
> >
> > An elastic constriction chuck would not have to maintain rotational
> > alignment then. The marbles would rotate randomly on insertion without
> > consequence.
> >
> > On Oct 10, 2012 10:04 AM, "craig" <cr...@facework.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for an approach I did not even consider.  You got me thinking
> > > about how to use wicking processes.
> > >
> > > I am reticent to use picking up  balls since quality control on some
> > > batches (colors) was not that good.
> > >
> > > if I can find the right material maybe I can just push them through an
> > > elastic hole.  A shaped piston would not depend so much on quality.
> > >

> > > Craig
> >

> It's looks like everyone is exploring their imagination on this one. You
> probably could have finished the job manually by now ;-)
>
> Another idea regarding placing the balls, is that a P&P is overkill. You
> just need a large catch tray that feeds into a bucket. You place your board
> within that, then scoop up a cupfull of balls and simply pour over the
> table. The holes will soon fill up.
>
> So then your focus would be on dispensing glue. If the balls are a neat
> fit, then you only need a drop, or a circular bead, around the top. Once
> that has set, you could flip over and do the other side.
>
> Regards
> Roland

Hi all,
If I recall correctly the goal was to place different colors marbles in
holes; not necessarily in a random manner. Thinking in terms of
catalyzed epoxies or other adhesives where there is actually a reaction
the speed of the reaction roughly doubles for increase of 10 C in temp.
Being impatient I often cure epoxy at ~ 75 C. which just happens to be
as low as I can set the oven.

Dave