Brainstorming, but not coming up with what you asked for.  I still think
one of these ideas might help, so here they are.

   I pictured using a key-hole tool to make the hole in the top surface
of the wood about 5.8mm for a 6mm ball, then 6mm from about .2mm below
the surface down to 3.2mm below the surface. Pressure should get the
ball in tight.  Pressure through the hole in back should push the ball
back out.  the surface behind being a cylinder shape instead of a sphere
shape might not significantly affect the appearance.

   If going with the sphere shaped recess, glus could be applied with
4.5mm dia. tubing dipped in the glue of your choice, and then pressed
against the spherical hole.  the glue would clear a 2mm thru hole, but
perhaps not show through the top.  If the tubing is spring loaded in the
Z axis, Z tolerance against the wood could be near 0.5mm.